- For a nourishing start to your day, choose a whole-grain bran cereal packed with fiber, such as raisin bran or bran flakes. Add fruit and low-fat milk for the most nutritious beginning.
- Low-fat popcorn is crunchy, delicious, and a source of whole grain fiber. Plus, you can enjoy a large, filling portion! Look for popcorn made with “94% Fat Free Butter” or air-popped popcorn.
- Choose light ice creams, or frozen yogurts which are low in fats and calories.
- Enjoy thin-crust frozen pizza or with grilled chicken or veggies. Avoid the sausage, pepperoni, and extra cheese. Limit your portion to two slices and add a salad to complete the meal.
- 100% fruit juices are naturally rich in vitamins, minerals, and disease-fighting antioxidants. In fact, they’re the next best thing to eating whole fruit.
“Fruit juice drinks,” however, are usually packed with sugar and empty calories.
- Frozen Meals Can Be Healthy, Too!: Look for frozen meals that have lean protein, plenty of vegetables, whole grains, and a low-fat or simple sauce.
- Avoid fried frozen food, or creamy casseroles. Frozen meals that are baked, grilled, steamed, or sautéed are healthier and lower in calories.
- Spaghetti – A Healthy Favorite: Try the new whole-wheat pasta blends. Even the kids will like it if you top the spaghetti with your favorite tomato sauce. Macaroni and cheese are low in fiber and loaded with fat and calories.
- Fat-Free Frozen Shrimp & Prawns: Shrimp are a tastier and healthier alternative to breaded fish sticks. You can buy them already cooked and shelled. Eat them cold with cocktail sauce, grill them, or sauté with veggies.